Schwartz Downey & Co.’s attorneys have represented a diverse group of companies and individuals in a broad array of complex civil litigation and business disputes. The Firm takes pride in offering large firm quality with small firm service and attention to detail. We aggressively prepare for trial while remaining conscious of our client’s desire to reach its objective in a timely and cost effective manner.
Our attorneys have represented clients in various industries and numerous forums, including federal and state trial and appellate courts, private arbitration and mediation panels, and administrative agencies. The Firm is rated AV-Preeminent status by Martindale-Hubbell, and individual attorneys have been recognized as among the best by rankings published by Chambers USA (America’s Leading Business Lawyers), the Ohio Super Lawyers, and the Best Lawyers in America in a number of practice areas, including bet-the company-litigation and alternate dispute resolution.
Clients that hire us range from individual businessmen and women, family-owned closely held businesses, mid-market businesses, and Fortune 500 companies. This diversity of representation and experience enhances our ability to structure our services to fit your specific needs and goals.
Listed below are some examples of our attorneys’ commercial litigation and related experience:
• Defense of asbestos manufacturer/installer/supplier in multiple state court actions
• Representation of nationally syndicated cartoonist against syndicate in action to regain control of cartoonist’s work
• Defense of local company and manufacturer of silicon boules and its president against breach of contract action brought by Fortune 500 company
• Representation of architecture/design firm in surrender of stock and transfer of ownership and management functions of co-owner
• Defense of national alcoholic beverage manufacturer in federal court litigation
• Representation of microbiology company in prosecution of trade secret, Civil RICO, and breach of non-competition agreement against Swiss Company and its principals
• Representation of attorneys and law firms in fee disputes and claims relating to withdrawal from or dissolution of law firm
• Representation of landlords in breach of lease and eviction actions against commercial tenants
• Defense of lawyers and law firms in claims of professional negligence
• Defense, prosecution, and counseling of companies and individuals relating to management and operation of businesses, including employment agreements, non-competition agreements, trade secrets, contract preparation and related litigation
• Representation of publicly traded company in regulatory investigation by City of Cleveland involving alleged price scanning irregularities
• Defense of publicly traded company in consumer class action involving alleged deceptive trade practices
• Co-representation of union insurance association in defense of breach of contract action brought by insurance company.
• Analysis of gaming laws in Ohio for lessor of gaming equipment
• Representation of numerous condominium associations in litigation regarding interpretation and application of Condominium By-Laws and Declarations
• Representation of condominium association in defense of suit by unit owner for environmental torts
• Representation of plaintiffs in actions against lawyers and law firms for failure to protect rights arising from tort claims settled on behalf of disabled minors
• Representation of pharmaceutical company and former shareholders in defense of individual and class actions seeking additional phantom stock appreciation
• Representation of developer of software against data processing company for misappropriation of trade secrets and unfair competition
• Representation of sellers of French company, manufacturing electronic systems for automobiles against corporate buyer for disputed and unpaid portion of purchase price